Is Legolas coward.

This forum topic dedicated to general information about the fantastic world of Tolkien (any questions, suggestions are welcome)

Moderators: x-sam-x, Aredhel

thranduil_15

Is Legolas coward.

Post by thranduil_15 »

In first book of LOTR legolas is runing away from blarog and he drop his bow. Is he coward.
Glorfindil

Post by Glorfindil »

Anyone with half a brain and balls would run from a balrog. Also, if I remember correctly, he did a far amount of butt kicking at Helms Deep and Minas Tirith. And besides, you have to be brave to befriend a dwarf like Gimili. Capiche?
thranduil_15

Post by thranduil_15 »

thx i knew he is'nt coward
Glorfindil

Post by Glorfindil »

No problemo, thats what I'm here for! 8)
reconopps

Post by reconopps »

He is not . just smart did you ever try an run with a bow?
Demonlord

Post by Demonlord »

Hes not really. He knows that he can't contest the might of a Balrog because he isn't as powerful as Gandalf or the Balrog
thranduil_15

Post by thranduil_15 »

yes i know that but in the movie he goes on last position with Gandalf but in the book he run's away first and he drop's his bow.... He isn't coward but they make him better in the movie then in the book :D so if anyone ask's is legoals coward i would say no becouse he was friend with DWARF and for that you must be very brave :)
Velron

He is wise

Post by Velron »

He is wise not a coward. Gandalf specifically told them they could not compete with the Balrog and their weapons would do nothing against it. Only an imbecile would stay after being told that. It's not cowardly to run from certain death, and on the flip side, it's not brave to stand and face certain death either.
Captain Grishnahk

Post by Captain Grishnahk »

So are you saying that Gandalf wasn't brave by facing certain death (aka The Balrog)? I'd say standing to face certain death is very, very brave.
Velron

Post by Velron »

No, he was of course brave but he was the only one who could stand against it. He had a chance to stop it, it wasn't "certain" death for him. For the others to have tried though...that would not be bravery...that would be stupidity. Know what I mean?
Captain Grishnahk

Post by Captain Grishnahk »

Yeah, i see what you mean... Gandalf beat him in the end, anyway. However, if facing certain death can help save someone else, it's brave.

If you're doing it just for the heck of it... yeah that's stupidity.
Velron

Post by Velron »

Yep. You get what I mean. If you can make a difference then it's brave, if you are dying with no chance of helping anything it's just stupid. Nice to meet other like minded smart thinking individuals. :D
Velron

Post by Velron »

I'm there. Not a hugely active forum person, don't have time usually. But I do get in for a read every once in a while.
SarumanFYI

Post by SarumanFYI »

Legolas had his reasons to depart from the Balrog. One, he knew that whether he stayed to fight or not, it would be a ridiculous effort. Also, he's a wood elf, a prince of Thranduil's Realm. He has a fear of anything that consumes life.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Only the elves of old were able to fight, not one, but several Balrogs at the same time: Feanor, Glorfindel... and even some men like Hurin. Fingolfin even fought the Devil himself. Different times.