Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter

This forum topic dedicated to general information about the fantastic world of Tolkien (any questions, suggestions are welcome)

Moderators: x-sam-x, Aredhel

li_ly

Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter

Post by li_ly »

Yesterday I had a quarrel with my younger sister. Guess, what it was about. Of course, we argued about two famous books and movies - Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Actually, we were speaking about movies.
I'm a big fan of LOTR, and when my sister told me that Harry Potter is much better , I really became mad. I began to dispute and shout, but in a minute I realized that my sister is only 14 years old. And I'm 22. And that is the difference and main reason of our quarrel. She is a kid yet. And I always thought that Harry Potter is for kinds, so she just proved my ideas.
She is too young to understand all meaning of LOTR.
What do you think about it?
Demonlord

Post by Demonlord »

Im twelve and i get the meaning of the books :x Just because adults read the books doesnt mean that younger people dont understand them or like them like a adult does.
thranduil_15

Post by thranduil_15 »

hary potter stinks i read all books and watch all movies but that is a lil boys story LOTR is much better and movies and books harry potter may go to store to buy cigarets for LOTR and old tobo grass harry stinks LOTR rocks :)
Captain Grishnahk

Post by Captain Grishnahk »

Down with Harry! Up with Frodo!
Lady_of_Aragorn

Post by Lady_of_Aragorn »

I think there's good things in both. Sure, LOTR is better, as in A LOT, but HP isn't that bad.
Darkguy89

Re: Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter

Post by Darkguy89 »

li_ly wrote:Yesterday I had a quarrel with my younger sister. Guess, what it was about. Of course, we argued about two famous books and movies - Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Actually, we were speaking about movies.
I'm a big fan of LOTR, and when my sister told me that Harry Potter is much better , I really became mad. I began to dispute and shout, but in a minute I realized that my sister is only 14 years old. And I'm 22. And that is the difference and main reason of our quarrel. She is a kid yet. And I always thought that Harry Potter is for kinds, so she just proved my ideas.
She is too young to understand all meaning of LOTR.
What do you think about it?
i think that your sister doesn't realise that the lord of the rings will go down in history as one of the best movies in history becauseof the way peter jackson followed the book properly and made them all at once in stead of not sticking to the book and making them at all different times.
pasht

Post by pasht »

Lady_of_Aragorn wrote:I think there's good things in both. Sure, LOTR is better, as in A LOT, but HP isn't that bad.
Yes there are good things in both books. But Harry potter is a purely commercial venture and JK Rowling must have had money in the mind while she wrote them. There are no morals that we could follow in our lives in HP.

On the other hand there is a lot we could learn from LOTR and put it in our own lives.I say, LOTR is an epic. And nobody can beat Sir Tolkien in dialogues.
What is your opinion?
sadronniel

Suilaid

Post by sadronniel »

this is the most debatable topic of all. yes there have been major clashes between these two masterpiece. but the truth is,age is not the matter of fact here. it is how you look upon the book,how you comprehend it.

some people like it to be straight. i.e:the languages that have been used by both jrr tolkien and rowling are not the same. tolkien have a far greater option of languages that became a trend after lotr(as i myslf learning elvish :D) while in harry potter,it is more to the magic spell that draws them in like stupefy which means to put the enemy into a numb condition.

tolkien and rowling wrote the book in the same ground but with diffrent theme;yes indeed they were talking about friendship and how it saves the day (sam and frodo) and (hermione harry and ron). but it is the way how the portray the way the friendship being put into test is what matter.

as in harry potter,i might say that its plot are quite recycleable (means that the writer use the same plot only by altering it here and there to make it look nice).dont get me wrong,but if you look closely u shall see.

-harry will stay in his aunt and uncle house
-his bday(in every book)will be celebrate
-he'll spend his time in the burrow
-board on hogwarts express
-fight with malfoy
-you know who strikes again with new plan which is so foreseeable
-harry will pass through a hard time,most people dont believe him
-investigate then knows the truth
-fights the dark lord and win (the dark lrd will usually escape in the end)
-become famous
-leave for holidays
-back with dursleys

see? it is being repeated i presume as long as i have read it earlier

as we all have known,the lotr trilogy is not the first three book that tolkien have wrote. he previously have wrote mre advance abut the character in the previous book. sauron is the second dark lord and they are not in the first age themselves.

s i can conclude my opinion here by saying,it all depends on how you judge the value and moral of a book. harry or frodo,sauron or voldemort dumbledore or gandalf,there will be a similarities due to the major differeces between these two books

le hannon..
sadronniel

Post by sadronniel »

Captain Grishnahk wrote:Down with Harry! Up with Frodo!
its a bit childish dont you think?
Pelle 79

Post by Pelle 79 »

I thing Lord of the rings is mutch better than Harry Potter.
Harry Potter is more for children.
Go Frodo:)
Saruman the Wise

Post by Saruman the Wise »

i'm a big fan of both book series' but i think that LOTR is better. Tolkien's life was totally dedicated to these books. he is really detail oriented to make every bit of LOTR come to life. While HP is a great book series, i think we need to wait a generation or two to see if it can really contend with LOTR
alea_nightstar12

Post by alea_nightstar12 »

I am a big fan of both but this is childish.I understand the theme of the books and I reread I find a morals to the books each time I read. But you people got a point that J.K.Rowling does recycle and uses and changes parts. But Tolkein's literature will go down in history cause of a world he made his work is just outstanding!
beclachy

Post by beclachy »

Your 22!
get a life
move outta your moms!

p.s i love lord of the rings more than you :lol:
Robyon

VIVA LOTR

Post by Robyon »

pozz to all. you better shup up man, you niger!!! :) I am joking, poz to all,
VIVA LOTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Damis

Post by Damis »

I'm only 15 and I've read all of the books and read Lore for coutless hours, I have to say I can understand everything about it.