Are the movies good representations of the books?

Here you may discuss interesting facts about The Lord of the Rings movies including, including the difference between the books and the film adaptation.

Moderators: x-sam-x, Aredhel

britard

Are the movies good representations of the books?

Post by britard »

I was wondering what you thought of the books compared to the movies or movies compared to the books. Do you think the movies did the books "justice?"

[/list]
Anjac

Post by Anjac »

Well I don't think that they do the same as the books, Yet what movie does? In all reality I think that they are the movies that potray their books the best. You get to see all the memoriable parts and important parts and a few more after that too.
Zacchatack

Post by Zacchatack »

I read the books and compared to the movies, the books are much more detailed. Like in the first books, before they get to ``mines of Moria`` some Ouargs are supposed to attack them, but they don`t demonstrate that in the movie.

I rest my case. :!: :wink:
mataus57

Post by mataus57 »

the movies never do the books justus in any situation but the rings movies have to be the closest to the books i have ever scene in a book turning into a movie
elven star

Post by elven star »

thats the idea!if the movies r same as d books, why spent so much money in the movie.
Velron

Post by Velron »

Going to have to disagree with some of you here. I think the movies were very very well made, excellent in fact, and some of the best movies I have ever seen. Of course movies can not have all the details of books, and it's just foolish to expect them too. How long was LOTR movies? 3+ hours already. Having all book content would make it days long each movie. That's rediculous to think of. The key when comparing books and movies is "do the movies show the story accurately and similarly to the original written version?" "do they portray the characters right?" It can never match completely simply for running time sake and mainstream people will not want to see long "boring" parts that don't affect the overall story. The small details in between the main story aren't as important to a movie. Those are the parts that get left out. As fans we miss them, but for movies to sell well it simply does not work to have everything included like the books. Especially for something as huge as LOTR.
Velron

Post by Velron »

I am already there. But since you decided to be so polite about it all... *flips the bird* You're not doing your new forum any favours acting like that.
Lady_of_Aragorn

Post by Lady_of_Aragorn »

Yeah, but since we (Cap) made that forum, I guess it's up to us to decide what we do with it, correct?

And we decide to let go all boundries. If you can't handle it, then don't.
drayco90

Post by drayco90 »

Thank you lady A. now I can sleep soundly knowing im not the only one irritated with this guy.
Velron

Post by Velron »

Well since you are all on the new site and insist this one is dead why do you keep coming back here to harass those who find this place? I know your glowing new site is only 50 people strong (gee I wonder why /sarcasm off) but how about you piss off there and let this place go however it decides to go. Instead you are pulling a Microsoft and trying to bury the competition...pretty lame. Not to mention..who the hell are you to tell other LOTR fans where and how they want to chat?
Lady_of_Aragorn

We're just trying to show them that there is another site. Please, just get off and let it go.
Velron

Post by Velron »

Lady_of_Aragorn wrote:We're just trying to show them that there is another site. Please, just get off and let it go.
Showing them is one thing but you are not merely showing them. You are trying to bully and force them across. Cap was the only one who did it with any decency and integrity. Take a leaf from his book and get a clue. If you are too silly to see the difference in approaches then you must be an ignorant child.
Lady_of_Aragorn

I'm sorry, I'm not american, therefor I'm not ignorant.

And I think you take things too seriously. My opinion. so: Case closed.
Velron

Post by Velron »

I'm not American either. At least we agree on one thing, American ignorance of the outside world and other peoples views. I just hope you see my points and take them into consideration, surely you can see the difference in suggesting the new site and berating people about it.
Lady_of_Aragorn

Oh boohoo.

And, back on topic, I think the movies do quite well. Some things are different, but overall: the feeling's the same. I get a rush with both of them: right before I see one of the movies and when I read the books. That's the most important thing.